Recent Water Damage Posts
Faster to your water damage!
Working on a water damage.
Flooding and water emergencies don’t wait for regular business hours and neither do we. SERVPRO of Alton, Edwardsville & Granite City provides emergency cleaning and restoration services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week—including all holidays.
Faster To Any Size Disaster
Flooding and water damage is very invasive. Water quickly spreads throughout your home and gets absorbed into floors, walls, furniture, and more. SERVPRO of Alton, Edwardsville & Granite City arrives quickly and starts the water extraction process almost immediately. This immediate response helps to minimize the damage and the cleaning and restoration costs.
Need Emergency Service? Call Us 24/7 – 618-797-1392
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
About SERVPRO of Alton, Edwardsville & Granite City
SERVPRO of Alton, Edwardsville & Granite City specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration.
Assessing your water damage
A water damage happens when a pipe breaks, plumbing backs up, flood waters rise, or a number of other reasons in which water enters a structure.
Water restoration is the act of making it "Like it never even happened." which is our specialty at SERVPRO of Alton, Edwardsville & Granite City.
Many homeowners who experience a water damage often don't know where to start. The first step is assessing the situation and responding appropriately.
There are two criteria for categorizing water damages: Class, and Category.
The Class of water damage refers to the extent of damage and how much moisture has been soaked up (or bound) in the building material.
There are 4 Classes of water damages:
Class 1 - water is confined to a small area and materials absorb very little water.
Class 2 - where wet materials represent approximately 5-40% of combined floor, wall, and ceiling surface area in a space
Class 3 - wet materials represent more than 40% surface area
Class 4 - this class of damage is a special case where water has been deeply absorbed into the structure and special methods need to be employed beyond a regular drying plan.
Category refers to the level of contamination caused by the water:
Category 1 - originates from a sanitary source, meaning a supply line or sink overflow with no contaminants
Category 2 - water that contains some contaminants such as washing machine or dishwasher rinse water
Category 3 - this includes all water that is significantly contaminated and can cause illness if ingested. This would include sewage, standing water with microbial growth, or water from a toilet containing fecal matter
If you have a water damage that needs to be assessed and for help with the cleanup call SERVPRO of Alton, Edwardsville & Granite City 618-797-1392
What to do after you experience a water damage.
No-one wants to experience any kind of damage to their home or business. When one happens, it is always good to be prepared!
The first thing to do after a water damage is to call your insurance company and ask about filing a claim. They will walk you through the process and get you taken care of. Next, you will want to give SERVPRO of Alton, Edwardsville & Granite City a call to have a crew come out to extract the water and dry everything out.
What if I have a water damage after 5 o’clock or on the weekend?
That is no problem! We are available 24/7 for all calls and emergency services!
What if my carpets or walls need removed?
Our professionally trained staff can remove any damaged wall or flooring that needs removed. We will dry everything out and sanitize any affected area.
What about my damaged contents?
We can always take them back to our warehouse to dry, clean and sanitize any of your contents that were affected.
SERVPRO of Alton, Edwardsville & Granite City is always prepared to help any Residential or Commercial water damage!
Call our office at 618-797-1392
Flooded home due to pipe burst
Ceiling starting to fall from the water leaking
This family came home from vacation to find their home flooded. The pipe for their kitchen sink busted and water was flowing for roughly 2-5 days. Serious damaged occurred to this newly built home. The upstairs flooring started buckling and the basement ceiling drywall had fallen.
When we arrived on site the CSR did a walk through to determine what all needed done. The crew began extracting all the water and removing the carpet. Our next step was to remove the ceilings in the basement, all flooring, start drying out contents and setting equipment to prevent mold growth.
A disaster like this can be prevented by turning your water off when you leave for vacation. Many never think it will happen to them. But if it does you can always count on us to be there!
Give us a call at 618-797-1392 to make your disaster look "Like it never even happened."
Pipe leak floods basement
SERVPRO of Alton, Edwardsville & Granite City received a call for a flooded basement and they were not sure what the cause was. Once our CSR arrived to the home he determined their was a pin size hole in the hot water pipe. The pipe had to have been leaking for a while. Almost the entire basement was wet. With the steam from the hot water mold started growing on the walls and contents.
We were able to extract the water from the floor and remove all the damaged dry wall and contents. When you have a water leak in your home it is important to find the source quickly. Mold can grow fast and can be very harmful to you and your family.
SERVPRO is ready for any size water damage that occurs! Call us at 618-797-1392
To make your damage look "Like it never even happened."
Madison County Residents: We Specialize In Basement Flooding Cleanup and Restoration!
A basement can flood at any time, although flooding most often occurs during heavy rainfall. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your Madison County basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call Today - 618-797-1392
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of Alton, Edwardsville & Granite City and let our trained, professional crews handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help 618-797-1392
Preventing pipes from freezing
With the holiday season getting closer and the temperatures getting cooler the American Red Cross offers these tips to help prevent your pipes from freezing during the winter months.
- Keep garage doors closed if there are water supply lines in the garage.
- Open kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors to allow warmer air to circulate around the plumbing. Be sure to move any harmful cleaners and household chemicals up out of the reach of children.
- When the weather is very cold outside, let the cold water drip from the faucet served by exposed pipes. Running water through the pipe - even at a trickle - helps prevent pipes from freezing.
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature both during the day and at night. By temporarily suspending the use of lower nighttime temperatures, you may incur a higher heating bill, but you can prevent a much more costly repair job if pipes freeze and burst.
- If you will be going away during cold weather, leave the heat on in your home, set to a temperature no lower than 55° F.
-Source: American Red Cross