Smoke Detector Maintenance and Safety Tips
Smoke detectors can play a vital role in keeping us safe in an emergency. They are often one of the first warning signs that there is a fire and that it is necessary to get out of the house and into a safe location. The following are some tips to ensure that your smoke detectors are in working order.
- Test all smoke detectors monthly to ensure they are working correctly
- Clean smoke detectors regularly by vacuuming with the brush attachment
- Install new batteries once a year or as soon as the low battery alarm sounds
- Check the expiration date of all smoke detectors and replace when expired or at least once every 10 years.
- Consider using alarms that are interconnected, so that when one alarm sounds, they all sound
- Ensure that there are smoke detectors located in each sleeping room, and on every floor of the house, including the basement.
Here at SERVPRO of Alton, Edwardsville, and Granite City we hope these tips help to keep you and your family safe and worry-free!
If you have any questions about fires call us 24/7 at 618-797-1392, our experienced staff is always here to help!